Troubled by dry, frizzy hair? Every wonder what caused it and what, if anything, you can do about it? If you’re tired of watching everyone else enjoy silky-smooth, frizz-free hair, we’re here to help! There are several steps your Cameo stylist can do to help give you the hair you’ve always wanted. The first step is understanding what it is and why your hair seems so dry.
What is dry hair and why does it look frizzy?
The scalp produces natural oils that flow down the hair shaft to soften and protect hair. Each hair strand has layers – the cortex and the cuticle. The cortex is the center of each strand, and it’s the crucial part that makes up its strength and structure. Surrounding the cortex is the outside cuticle layer, made up of cells that overlap each other to seal in and protect the cortex. When hair gets damaged, the cells of the cuticle tend to open, exposing the cortex itself to damage. Because they no longer lay flat, the cuticle layer cells tend to tangle against those of nearby hairs and make your hair look dry and frizzy.
Why does hair become dry and frizzy?
Damage, which ultimately makes hair look frizzy, starts when your hair doesn’t have enough natural oil to seal in each strand and keep the cuticle layer flat. Some people are more prone to dry hair, while others overproduce oil and have oily hair. For those with dry hair, exposed hair strands are especially vulnerable to damage, split ends, and breakage, especially with lots of exposure to heat from styling tools and the sun.
How can my stylist help my dry hair?
Our professional stylists have a variety of tools and products that can improve the condition of your hair. Dry hair can be persistent and can be different for each person, so it requires a personalized plan of attack and regular treatments to reverse the dry hair look. At Cameo Salon & Spa, our professional stylists will assess your hair’s needs and determine the right hair spa treatments to get you back on track to smooth, silky-soft hair. Some of the options include:
- Redken® Chemistry Treatment. Redken® Chemistry Shot is an intense repair treatment for distressed hair, delivering an effective, concentrated dose of protein, 18-MEA, and ceramide to rebuild the structure and restore a healthy natural shine.
- Redken® HeatCure Restoration Treatment. HeatCure is a powerful treatment that can reverse up to a year of damage from exposure to heat, environmental pollutants, and chemicals. Its effective combination of proteins, oils, low-melting-point waxes, and cationic conditioners restore strength and moisture for a healthy glow.
- Redken® pH Bonder. If you’re thinking about a new color or texture but tend to have dry, delicate hair, this treatment will help protect against breakage and damage while adding shine and smoothness for gorgeous results.
- L’Oréal Professionnel® Powermix®. Powermix® is an effective moisturizing treatment that also fills in the gaps in a damaged cortex, repairing hair structure, while smoothing down the cuticle layer to protect against more damage. It’s a fast, effective treatment for soft, healthy-looking
- L’Oréal Professionnel® Pro Fiber. This treatment is a full program of hair restoration products that restore and repair damaged hair. It’s a customized system that uses different products to treat your hair’s individual needs, with homecare products to complement its effects.
What can I do at home to prevent dry hair?
In addition to in-salon treatments, our professional stylists will recommend a home care regimen to improve your hair’s condition and prevent further damage. For most of our hair spa treatments, the L’Oreal or Redken treatments provide homecare products that you can use to keep your hair in great shape between salon visits. There are also a few simple practices that you can follow to keep your hair soft and hydrated between appointments:
Using a heat protectant. If your style calls for regular heated styling tools use, a thermal heat protectant is a must. It’s amazing how hot these tools can get – up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit – and those temperatures can cause damage fast. Think how hot your oven gets when you set it to 450 degrees! You’d never want your hair to fight off that kind of damage. Thermal heat protectant products are applied to your hair before you blow-dry or use the flat iron, and they seal off your hair to protect it from damage.
- Avoiding other heat sources. Even hot showers expose your hair to excess heat, which has a drying effect. If your hair is already lacking natural oils, heat can dry it out fast. Turn down the heat a bit before rinsing in the shower, and wear hats and UV protective products if you plan to spend all day out in the sun.
The professional stylists at Cameo Salon & Spa can recommend the best professional products for your dry hair.
Dry, frizzy hair doesn’t have to run your life. Take control with a personalized haircare plan from the experienced stylists at Cameo Salon & Spa. Make an appointment today and be on your way to soft, silky-smooth hair that looks fabulous in any style! Find us at 1817 Collier Parkway in Lutz, FL, call us at (813) 948-7411, or book your hair treatment appointment online with our convenient scheduling tool. It’s fast and easy to become a member of our Reward Program and earn exclusive rewards! Simply use the QR code below on your smartphone to sign up, or go to www.loyaltysos.ca/biz/cameo to join online.